How to Remove Mold From Natural Stone

Walking into your bathroom, you’re appalled to discover a large patch of mold on the walls. Mold can spread quickly and thrive in damp areas like bathrooms, making it essential to act swiftly if you want to prevent it from becoming a bigger problem. You might want to tackle the issue with some intensive cleaning or seek professional help – but first things first, let’s look at how to remove mold from natural stone!

How to Remove Mold From Natural Stone

In this blog post, we will explore all the steps required for an effective deep-clean treatment so that your natural stone surfaces are free of mold and instantly revitalized. Read on as we guide you through diagnosing and tackling issues related to mold in natural stone surfaces.

What Causes Grow Mold on Natural Stone?

Mold is typically caused by one of two things: an underlying water leak or humidity. If you suspect that the mold in your bathroom has come from a leak, then it’s important to call a plumber to fix this problem first before attempting any DIY cleaning solutions.

If humidity is the culprit, consider investing in dehumidifiers or fans to help reduce the moisture in the air. It causes mold to grow on natural stone surfaces. Remember to clean any fan filters regularly to avoid mold spores being circulated into the air.

Needed Materials

Now that you know the cause of your mold growth, let’s look at what materials you’ll need to begin your deep clean. You will need the following:

  • Dish soap
  • White vinegar
  • Baking soda
  • Sponge/microfiber cloth
  • Old toothbrush
  • Dry cloth
  • Protective gloves and eyewear

10 Tips on How to Remove Mold From Natural Stone

1. Dry Out

Prepare the area by ensuring that any excess water has been removed and all surfaces are dry. Wet surfaces will only encourage mold to grow again. It is needed to remove mold from natural stone surfaces.

2. Remove Loose Mold

Using a Dry Cloth

Using a dry cloth, gently brush away any loose pieces of mold to prevent them from being spread into the air. A dry cloth is necessary to remove loose mold from natural stone surfaces. Loose mold could also transfer to other surfaces in your bathroom.

3. Mix the Solution

In a bucket, mix one teaspoon of dish soap, one cup of white vinegar, and half a cup of baking soda. Stir until all ingredients are completely dissolved. This solution is powerful enough to tackle even the toughest mold spots without damaging your surfaces.

4. Apply the Solution

Wearing protective gloves and eyewear, apply the solution to the affected areas. Use a sponge or microfiber cloth with the mixture, working it into the crevices of natural stone surfaces to ensure that all mold is removed.

5. Scrub

Using an old toothbrush, gently scrub the mold away in circular motions. This will help to lift it from the surface, allowing you to easily wipe away any remaining residue. Scrubbing the natural stone surfaces is needed to remove mold from them.

6. Rinse

Once all the mold has been scrubbed away, rinse the area with warm water and a dry cloth to remove any remaining traces of the solution. This is important as any leftover residue may cause further issues when it dries.

7. Dry Again

Dry Natural Stone Surfaces

Dry the surfaces a second time to ensure that there is no moisture remaining. This will stop any mold from growing back in the future. It is important to dry natural stone surfaces again after rinsing them.

8. Inspect

Inspect the area for any remaining mold spots so that you can treat them as necessary. Regular inspection of natural stone surfaces is important to ensure that mold does not reappear.

9. Sanitize

For an extra layer of protection, you can also sanitize the area with hydrogen peroxide or bleach solution. Be sure to use protective gear when using these solutions, and make sure that they are completely dry before allowing anyone near them.

10. Enjoy

Once your natural stone surfaces have been cleaned of all mold, you can sit back and enjoy their refreshed look! Be sure to keep a close eye on the area for any further signs of mold growth so that you can act quickly if needed.

Regular cleaning and maintenance are important when it comes to keeping natural stone surfaces free from mold.

Be sure to keep an eye on any areas that may be prone to moisture, such as bathrooms and kitchens, so that you can take swift action if needed. With the right cleaning tools and solutions, it’s easy to remove mold from natural stone surfaces without causing any damage.

Avoid Using Abrasive

8 Maintenance Tips

  1. Use protective sealant or coating on your stone surfaces. This will prevent mold spores from attaching to the surface, making it much easier to clean regularly and remove any mold that may form.
  2. Keep damp areas like showers and bathrooms well-ventilated. Exhaust fans can help keep moisture levels low, which reduces the chances of mold growth.
  3. Clean surfaces regularly with mild detergent and water, then dry the surface completely to prevent mold from forming. Cleaning is especially important in areas where moisture can build up, like around sinks and tubs.
  4. Avoid leaving wet clothes or towels on natural stone surfaces for extended periods of time. The damp environment is a perfect breeding ground for mold spores to grow. Wet surfaces should also be dried immediately.
  5. Be aware of any leaks, even small ones, and make sure to repair them as soon as possible. Leaks can cause moisture buildup in the stone, which can promote mold growth. Leaving them unfixed can also cause long-term damage to the stone.
  6. Avoid using abrasive or acidic cleaners on natural stone surfaces. These harsh chemicals can erode sealants or etch the surface, leaving it vulnerable to staining and mold growth. That’s why a mild detergent or stone cleaner is the best choice when cleaning natural stone.
  7. If you see mold growing in your natural stone, start by removing it with a damp cloth and whatever cleaning solution you are using for regular maintenance. For more stubborn mold spots, use a brush to scrub them away and then rinse the area well with water.
  8. If you do detect mold on your natural stone, it’s important to clean it off immediately with a mild detergent and water solution. Be sure to rinse the surface thoroughly afterward to remove any residue. 

If the mold is stubborn, you may need to use a vinegar solution or specialized stone cleaner. For more severe cases, call a professional cleaning service.

Following these simple tips can help keep your natural stone surfaces free of mold and looking beautiful for years to come!

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Most Effective Chemical to Kill Mold?

Bleach is one of the most effective chemicals for killing mold on hard surfaces. You can also use a solution of equal parts water and vinegar or an oxygen-based bleach cleaner. It will definitely work to kill the mold and leave your natural stone surfaces clean.

Can I Use Abrasive Cleaners on Natural Stone?

No, you should never use abrasive cleaners on natural stone, as it can damage the surface and expose it to further staining or mold growth. Instead, look for a mild detergent or specialized stone cleaner. Always test any new cleaning solution in an inconspicuous area before using it on the entire surface.

How Can I Prevent Mold Growth?

The best way to prevent mold growth is to keep your stone surfaces clean and dry at all times. Use a protective sealant or coating every few years, and be sure to remove any damp cloths or towels. 

Regularly check for any water leaks, and repair them as soon as possible. Also, make sure to clean away any mold you find right away with a mild detergent or stone cleaner. Following these steps can help keep your natural stone surfaces in pristine condition!

Use a Protective Sealant


When it comes to cleaning mold off of natural stone surfaces, your best bet is to use a commercial product specifically designed for the job or a bleach solution. It’s important to remember that bleach can damage certain stones, so if you choose this option, be sure to do a patch test first. 

If you are still unsure about how to clean mildew and mold off of natural stone effectively, then your best option is to contact a professional who has experience working with different types of stone. They will know exactly what products and techniques to use in order to safely and efficiently remove mold from natural stone without doing any harm. 

The most important thing is to be patient and take your time when attempting any sort of cleaning project on natural stone. With the right techniques on how to remove mold from natural stone and a work ethic, you can effectively remove mold from any number of different types of stones without damaging the surface or causing yourself unnecessary trouble in the process.

You can check it out to Make Dirt Backyard Look Nice

Leave a Comment