Are you feeling the heat from your patio? During the summer months, many of us who enjoy spending time outside on our patios are looking for ways to keep cool and still enjoy this beautiful space.
Patios can provide a great place to relax, entertain guests, or spend quality time with family, but when temperatures start rising, it may become more difficult to stay comfortable in that area.
Summertime is the perfect time to enjoy your outdoor space, but it can quickly become uncomfortably hot if you don’t take steps to keep things cool on your patio. Heat and humidity can make relaxing in the sun a little less enjoyable.
Luckily, there are plenty of options available when it comes to choosing stylish décor items that help keep your patio area comfortable even on sweltering days.
Read below for our ultimate guide on how to keep your patio cool.
What Will You Need?
There are a few items you’ll need to stay comfortable when it comes to keeping your patio cool.
- Water features
Once you have your items, you can use them well.
10 Easy Steps on How to Keep Your Patio Cool
Step 1. Shade:
One of the most effective ways to keep your patio cool is to reduce how much sunlight exposure it receives. To do this, install a large umbrella or canopy over the area.
This provides an instant source of shade and significantly lowers space temperatures.
Step 2. Fans:
Another great way to stay cool on your patio is by installing a fan or two in the area. Portable fans are easy to install and provide a steady breeze that can certainly help keep things comfortable. You can also opt for an overhead ceiling fan if it fits in with how you’ve decorated your patio.
Step 3. Plants:
Adding plants to your patio will not only beautify the space, but they’ll also help keep temperatures lower as well. Planting trees around the area will provide extra shade while shrubs and bushes act as natural air filters and reduce how much heat radiates off surfaces like concrete or stone patios.
Step 4. Water Features:
A decorative water feature can add an interesting touch to any outdoor space and provide some welcomed relief from the heat. Water has the ability to cool down the surrounding air and will also create a pleasant atmosphere in your patio area. Be careful, as too much water can make the space damp and uncomfortable.
Step 5. Furniture:
Using furniture designed for outdoor use can help keep temperatures lower on hot days. Look for wicker, rattan, or teak materials, as they are great at reflecting light and quickly dissipating heat. Keep furniture away from direct sunlight when you’re not using it to ensure it stays cool throughout the day.
Step 6. Flooring:
Using hard surfaces such as concrete, stone, or tile can cause temperatures in your patio area to increase significantly during the summer months, so consider adding a more climate-friendly flooring option like grass, wood, or bamboo. These materials will absorb the heat and help keep your patio cool.
Step 7. Awnings:
For a more permanent solution, consider installing an awning or pergola. This will provide your patio with extra shade and protection from the sun. Moreover, awnings can be customized to fit your outdoor space perfectly.
Step 8. Reflective Surfaces:
Using materials such as aluminum or light-colored paint can help reflect heat away from your outdoor space and reduce how hot your patio gets. Consider adding reflective surfaces to any hard surfaces in the area, like a stone patio, or painting fences and walls with a lighter color.
If you’re lucky enough to have a pool, it can also reflect sunlight away from your patio and help keep the temperature down.
Step 9. Curtains:
Adding curtains to your outdoor space is another great way to keep things cool on hot days. They will provide extra shade while also blocking out light, which will help lower temperatures significantly. You can even go one step further by investing in insulated curtains that are designed specifically for this purpose – they’ll keep the heat out and let you enjoy your patio in comfort.
You Can Check It Out to Attach Pergola to Concrete Patio
Step 10. Roofs:
If you’re looking for the ultimate protection from the sun, installing a roof or pergola over your patio is an excellent way to keep temperatures low and still enjoy your outdoor space. It will provide extra shade as well as give you the ability to open it up when needed to let more sunshine in.
Ensure that you use a material that’s designed to block out UV rays and keep temperatures cool.
By following these easy steps, you can easily create a comfortable and inviting outdoor area no matter how hot it gets outside! With the right combination of items, like fans, plants, furniture, and flooring, you can create the perfect atmosphere for enjoying time outdoors without worrying about how hot it is outside. Happy cooling!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
- Invest in patio umbrellas that are specifically designed to provide shade without blocking the breeze.
- If you have a tall fence or an overhang, you can attach outdoor curtains for extra shading.
- Place potted plants around your patio to provide natural shade and soften the glare from the sun.
- Hang lightweight colored fabrics in strategic spots to block and diffuse direct sunlight while keeping some of the cool temperatures. This will also lend a beautiful aesthetic touch to your patio area!
- Look for reflective surfaces such as mirrors and metal objects that can help reflect the heat away from your patio. This will help to keep your patio cool and comfortable.
By following these simple tips, you can enjoy your patio comfortably and style no matter how hot the weather gets! With a bit of ingenuity and effort, it is easy to keep your patio cool and comfortable. So don’t let the heat stop you from enjoying your outdoor space!
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Not using a patio cover or umbrella. Patio covers and umbrellas can provide much-needed shade to keep your patio cooler during the summer heat.
- Being exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. It’s best to try to create shade areas to reduce how much direct sunlight your patio is exposed to.
- Planting trees near your patio that are deciduous (i.e., leafy trees like oaks) rather than evergreen (i.e., trees with needles like pines). Deciduous trees provide more shade and can help cool your patio’s surrounding area.
- Using dark-colored patio furniture and flooring materials like stone or concrete, which absorb heat from the sun. Lighter colored materials will reflect the sunlight away from your patio rather than absorbing it.
- Avoid water features such as a pond, fountain, or waterfall. The sound of running water and its mist can help keep your patio cool and comfortable in the summer heat.
Using these tips can help you keep your patio cool during the hottest months of the year. Make sure to plan ahead and create shade areas on your patio, use lighter-colored furniture and flooring material, add water features, and invest in a patio cover or umbrella. Doing these things can help you keep your patio cool even when the temperatures rise!
How Can You Install a Solar Attic Fan?
Solar attic fans are an ideal way to reduce the heat in your home while also helping to improve energy efficiency.
Installing a solar attic fan is relatively easy and requires minimal tools and materials. Here’s how:
- First, locate an area on your roof that has direct access to sunlight for most of the day. This will ensure that there is enough power for the fan to run at its full potential.
- Next, mount the fan brackets onto the roof according to provided instructions in the manual that comes with your fan kit.
- Attach the solar panel into place and ensure it is secure and angled towards sunlight so it can absorb maximum energy from the sun.
- Connect the wiring to the fan and solar panel, and attach the fan to the brackets on your roof.
- Lastly, seal any seams on the fan casing with waterproof caulk to keep rainwater out of your attic.
Installing a solar attic fan is an easy way to reduce heat in your home while also improving energy efficiency. If you follow these instructions closely, you should have no problem installing your own solar attic fan.
With these tips on how to keep your patio cool, you now have the necessary tools to keep your patio cool and comfortable on those hot summer days. It’s important to remember that the key to keeping your patio cool is increased air circulation and shade coverage.
Additionally, be sure to keep an eye out for any plants or trees that may provide natural shading – they are a great, inexpensive way of cooling down your outdoor living space.
And don’t overlook adding personal touches like outdoor rugs and decorations, as they will give your patio an inviting atmosphere while also helping to reduce temperatures from sunlight.
Beat the heat this summer with a well-planned patio setup, and ensure you never get too hot again!
You Can Check It Out to Keep Patio Warm in Winter